Fun Office Events in NYC to Keep Your Office Happy and Productive
Mon, 21 Oct 2019 | Written by Corporate Suites Staff
To build a close-knit, collaborative team at work, we sometimes need to think outside the office. In fact, planning fun team-building activities and casual social gatherings have been shown to work wonders for promoting better relationships between team members at work, ultimately leading to a more motivated, invested, and focused team. While the happy hour has been the go-to after-work activity for decades, more companies are beginning to get creative when it comes to planning events for employees. With NYC as your playground, there is a wealth of possibilities when it comes to fun work events. Read on to learn fun office events you can incorporate you can use for your next team gathering.
Fun Office Events You Can Incorporate for your Next Team Gathering:
Brave an Escape Room.
- Escape rooms have been popping up in cities across the country, and NYC is no exception. When embarking on an escape room challenge, teams are given a set amount of time to work together to solve a series of clues and puzzles with the ultimate goal of freeing themselves from the room. Escape rooms top the list of fun office events because not only are they fun, they also encourage a high level of collaboration and teamwork that can easily transfer back into the office. One of today’s more fun work events escape rooms don’t require a large time commitment, and so make for a great mid-week get together for your staff.
Take The Team Out to a Ball game.
- A classic among the list of fun work events is sports outings. What could be better than cheering on your favorite team, beer in hand, with your coworkers? Getting the team together to attend a local sports game is a great choice for all because they offer the opportunity to get to know one another in a casual setting over food and drink. Consider a slower-paced game like baseball to allow for more mingling and conversation time. To determine which games your employees are interested in attending, send a quick survey to gauge interest and figure out which dates work best with everyone’s schedule.
Get together for a cause.
- Another popular choice of fun office events to consider is getting together for a charity run, bike, or walk. NYC has countless events throughout the year to choose from, so you’re sure to find a cause your team will want to get out and get active for. Not only will a run or walk give your team the chance to mingle and get to know one another better out on the course, they also promote physical activity that will help to build a healthier work environment.
Go for a hike.
- Happy hour activities at work that aren’t centered around food or drink are rare, so why not break the mold? NYC is a concrete jungle, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find pockets of natural beauty to enjoy the great outdoors. Hikes make for great fun work events, getting your team out and active together. They’ll enjoy relaxed conversation with one another, mild exercise, and productivity-boosting fresh air. Finish off your hike with a picnic or drinks at a nearby bar.
Plan an Office Awards Ceremony.
- One of the more unique happy hour activities at work, consider planning an office awards ceremony to acknowledge all of the hard work being done across your team. The awards ceremony can be as formal or casual as you like, whether you choose to rent out a banquet hall or simply meet at the local watering hole. An office awards ceremony is a great choice among fun office events because you can really customize to fit your unique office culture. Come up with a list of awards categories (for example, Best Dressed in the Office, or Most Contagious Laugh), have your employees vote, order the trophies, and distribute the awards during the ceremony.
- No list of happy hour activities at work would be complete without mention of a karaoke night. This popular choice among fun work events offers it all: drinks, laughs, and camaraderie. With so many karaoke bars to choose from in NYC, there is likely a great spot right near your office. Your team will love to see a different side of their coworkers as they brave the stage and belt out their favorite tunes.
- Nothing brings a team together like volunteering together, making it a perfect option for fun office events to consider. Poll your team to determine a cause that resonates with everyone, or choose a new member of your staff to be in charge of planning a volunteer outing each month. Because NYC offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities, it’s easy to find an opportunity that works with competing schedules. Coming together for a cause will likely build a sense of community among your employees, so it’s likely to become one of the go-to's for happy hour activities at work.
- Scavenger Hunts make for great fun work events because they offer the opportunity to get out and explore NYC in a new way. Scavenger hunts are growing in popularity among fun office events because they promote teamwork and problem solving while also building camaraderie and morale. While planning a DIY scavenger hunt can be pretty time consuming, opting for a pre-organized hunt can save some time. Following the hunt, celebrate over drinks or dinner.